Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 10:44:49 -0500 From: Molly Dickmeyer Subject: Re: candy bars and measurements -Reply >The inches/pounds/etc. system of measurement used in the US, and to >some extent elsewhere, is referred to, I think, as either the >"English" system (although while an inch is an inch, a pint in >England is not the same as a pint in the US) or simply as the >"common" or "conventional" system: it more or less grew rather than >being codified the way the metric system was. Of course, everything >is now done in metric terms: the official definition of the inch is >that it equals 25.4 millimeters. Vicki--guess we crossed posts. See my previous post on "conventional" and on "US-British" vs. "English". >(By the way, Britain will be officially converting to the metric >system on Sunday.) By the way, didn't the US officially convert to the metric system about 15 or 20 years ago? (I remember the hoopla when I was in school). It just didn't take--will it be more likely to do so in Britain? Molly dickmeye[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]