Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:44:17 EDT From: Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV maintainer Subject: Re: candy bars and measurements The inches/pounds/etc. system of measurement used in the US, and to some extent elsewhere, is referred to, I think, as either the "English" system (although while an inch is an inch, a pint in England is not the same as a pint in the US) or simply as the "common" or "conventional" system: it more or less grew rather than being codified the way the metric system was. Of course, everything is now done in metric terms: the official definition of the inch is that it equals 25.4 millimeters. (By the way, Britain will be officially converting to the metric system on Sunday.) Vicki Rosenzweig vr%acmcr.uucp[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] New York, NY