Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:40:32 -0500 From: Molly Dickmeyer Subject: candy bars and measurements -Reply >measurement what do you call the system of measurement that >americans use (i.e., the non-metric system). it seems to me i've >heard "english", but this isn't in my dictionaries. i think >"imperial" refers to another system altogether (isn't an imperial >gallon different than a u.s. gallon?). does the system even have a >name? >thanks in advance, lynne Lynne: I've been looking for an elegant way of stating "non-metric" for years--it comes up every time I need an author to confirm a metric conversion (I have yet to figure out to what measurement system "two finger breadths from the sternum" belongs). _Websters_ indicates "U.S. equivalent" as opposed to metric. My _Dorland's Medical_ has conversion tables that call it the "British-US system". "Conventional" cannot be used (at least, with scientific precision) because it is used in opposition to SI, or standard international units--which is a whole 'nother ball game. I prefer to use the term associated with the type of measurement. For example: in temperature, it would be "Fahrenheit"; in weight, it would be apothecaries', Avoirdupois, or Troy; in length or distance, there doesn't appear to be an alternative other than "US or British". But I'm always looking for some new alternatives!! Molly. dickmeye[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]