Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:44:17 EDT

From: Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV maintainer


Subject: Re: candy bars and measurements

The inches/pounds/etc. system of measurement used in the US, and to

some extent elsewhere, is referred to, I think, as either the

"English" system (although while an inch is an inch, a pint in

England is not the same as a pint in the US) or simply as the

"common" or "conventional" system: it more or less grew rather than

being codified the way the metric system was. Of course, everything is

now done in metric terms: the official definition of the inch is

that it equals 25.4 millimeters. (By the way, Britain will be officially

converting to the metric system on Sunday.)

Vicki Rosenzweig

vr%acmcr.uucp[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]

New York, NY