Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 21:50:53 -0400 From: Seth Sklarey Subject: Re: zapping, zappers & binger-bongers >I'm back from a long trip to France where I was not on-line (probably >nobody noticed). > >I have a question about "le zapping" that y'all can help me with. > >The term is very general now in France with the specific meaning of >using a remote control to change TV channels. I'm trying to determine >if it is a pseudo-Anglicism forged by the French. While we can all >"zap" a commercial, I know of no term for this practice as "zapping". >The mystery is that the OED (2nd ed) lists it as an Americanism, but >quotes only two British newspapers as authorities and furnishes no >other attestations of it. Nor is it to be found with this sense in >any of the many dictionaries of slang and new words that I have >consulted. > >So, does anyone out there know anything about where "zapping" might be >lurking in North America? What terms do you use for this practice, if any? >Channel surfing? Others? > >Thanks! > >Mike Picone >University of Alabama >MPICONE[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]UA1VM.UA.EDU > I would guess an origin in a comic book such as Batman but I don't really know. However, my ex-wife is the only one I ever heard who called the zapping device a binger-bonger, which I prefer over channel changer, clicker, or anything else. What say you all? Seth Sklarey Wittgenstein School of the Unwritten Word Coconut Grove, FL