Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 18:20:34 -0500 From: Charles F Juengling Subject: Re: metric or ... On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, C.A. Hoornstra wrote: > On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Anton Sherwood wrote: > > > > ... what do you call the system of measurement that > > > americans use (i.e., the non-metric system). it seems to me i've > > > heard "english", but this isn't in my dictionaries. ... > > > > "customary" That's what the _World Book_ gives. Both my dual system wrench sets say 'metric and SAE' with no indication of what SAE means. However, I remember when I was into fixing bikes, the response to 'gimme a wrench' was always "standard or metric?" Both my wife and a neighbor confirm 'standard' but have never heard the other terms mentioned. Fritz Juengling > > > > > > It's called the Imperial System. > > But, the American gallon is different from the British gallon. (There are > other measurements that also differ, like the ton - but I'm not sure of > them all.) > > Actually, the Imperial System is still more familiar than the metric > system is to some Brits. The UK has finally (within the last week) been > forced to discard the Imperial System and make a complete shift to the metric > system in order to be "compatible" with the EC. Many people (mostly the > older generations) feel that it will be a difficult task. For example, > although their speed limits are written using kph, the distances between > the cities, etc. have traditionally been measured in miles. Many butchers > and green grocers have had to buy new equipment and/or put up conversion > tables for themselves as well as their customers. It's just a matter of > getting used to, I suppose. >