Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 18:35:56 GMT From: "Warren A. Brewer" Subject: Name that syntagm Okay, do the perfessional linguists (what's a "linguist"? That's another list) have a technical term for phenomena like "I don't care (to)"? One big problem I've had with my Taiwanese students has been when they offer to do something for me, and I say, "That's okay." My meaning: "No thank you, I don't want to put you to any trouble." Non-native speaker's (literal) interpretaion: "I accept your offer." Cf. could care less --> couldn't care less Got a name for it? ---Wab.