Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 11:48:11 EST From: Wayne Glowka Subject: Re: word geography >Now what do you undertand by the term mayfly? A mayfly is a smushy bug that appears after rain in July. It has big wings and can't fly too well. When I lived up North, I read everything I could about catching the mythical fish called the trout. Trout are said to strike at pieces of feather and cloth made to look like mayflies. It being unethical to catch trout with worms and such, I tied all kinds of flies in order to hook my ear and hat. The only living trout I ever saw was under some tree roots. A child with a stiff dead trout showed me that flies were nonsense. He jumped into the water and tried to scoop up the terrified fishery-bred animal with a landing net--the same net he had used to catch the stiff dead fish. I went back to catfish and other pedestrian breeds on that day. The whole process was too much like trying to get a job in a research university. Wayne Glowka Professor of English Director of Research and Graduate Student Services Georgia College Milledgeville, GA 31061 912-453-4222 wglowka[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] BITNET Address: Wglowka[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]USCN