Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 09:42:58 EST From: Mark Ingram Subject: Re: word geography On Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:13:24 EST Wayne Glowka said: >>The plot thickens. :-) We called pill bugs roley poleys (spel?). Or sow bugs. >>I have a running debate with colleagues over what a June bug is. I say it's >>big and green. Others claim it is the small brown bug on your screens at >>night in the summer. I call those hardshell bugs. Any ideas folks? >>Mark Ingram maingr01[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] > >I know both sow bugs and roley poleys, and I can't say where I learned >either. As a matter of fact, I may be making the kids from Kansas >responsible for more than they actually were responsible for. A June bug >to me is a small brown bug that is fun to throw in someone's hair; to my >in-laws in central Georgia June bugs are indeed big and green and make all >that racket in the summer. I call them locusts. My cats call them good >food. >Wayne Glowka >Professor of English >Director of Research and Graduate Student Services >Georgia College >Milledgeville, GA 31061 >912-453-4222 >wglowka[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] >BITNET Address: Wglowka[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]USCN Wayne, thanks for the description of the bugs we all know and love? but have different names for. I find that I have to describe, just the way you did the different critters, because we don't share the same terms for them. Here is the list so far... sow bug, pill bug, rolley polley (spel?) June bug (large green bug on fruit, vegetables in the garden) June bug (small brown bug on the screens at night, very good for scaring girls) June bug, locust, cicada This is pretty trivial stuff, but I have found it hard to communicate using layman's terms when talking about the various creepy crawlies. BTW cats eat those small brown bugs too! Now what do you undertand by the term mayfly? Thanks. Mark Ingram Lexington, Ky maingr01[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]