Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 14:37:38 EST From: Mark Ingram Subject: Re: word geography On Thu, 10 Nov 1994 13:08:48 EST Wayne Glowka said: >> BEING FROM EASTERN KENTUCY I ALWAYS HEARD THE TERM DOODLEBUG REFER TO THE >> LITTLE BROWN BUGS THAT LIVE UNDERGROUND. > >There was trouble in my neighborhood in San Antonio, Texas. We--children >of parents from Weimar, Texas--called the multiple-legged arthropod that >curled up when touched a doodlebug, but the kids next door from Kansas >called ant lions doodlebugs. They called our doodlebug a pill bug. There >Wayne Glowka >Professor of English >Director of Research and Graduate Student Services >Georgia College The plot thickens. :-) We called pill bugs roley poleys (spel?). Or sow bugs. I have a running debate with colleagues over what a June bug is. I say it's big and green. Others claim it is the small brown bug on your screens at night in the summer. I call those hardshell bugs. Any ideas folks? Mark Ingram maingr01[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] >Milledgeville, GA 31061 >912-453-4222 >wglowka[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] >BITNET Address: Wglowka[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]USCN