Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 11:55:23 -0400 From: Robert Kelly Subject: Re: Case quarter This is pure inference, but: I've heard bank personnel (tellers once upon a time) refer to coins as cased when they are in those stiff little tubes we layfolk call tubes, the way they're delivered to retailers, you know, the check-out clerk is always cracking one open while we wait on line. What more natural than that coins so cased be identified as case quarters, i.e., quarters you can case. (Rather than 25 cents otherwise pieced together.) Or, as Trimalchio would have said, why not? rk