Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:19:22 -0500 From: "M. Lynne Murphy" <104LYN[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]MUSE.ARTS.WITS.AC.ZA> Subject: Re: discussant seth sez: > I am intrigued by the word "discussant" below. This is the first instance > of its use I have seen. Any previous use? Apparently > discussant=panelist=discusser > > I would very much appreciate recommendations (including self-recommendations) > for a qualified person to be a discussant for a panel I am chairing on i think "discussant" is pretty standard in conferences where there are papers and reaction papers. so, there are presenters and discussants. perhaps it's also used in cases like _current anthropology_ and _brain and behavioral sciences_ where the same format is put to print, but i'm not sure. (where there would be authors and discussants, i guess.) it's certainly the noun i'd use to refer to such people. lynne --------------------------------------------------------------------- M. Lynne Murphy 104lyn[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] Department of Linguistics phone: 27(11)716-2340 University of the Witwatersrand fax: 27(11)716-8030 Johannesburg 2050 SOUTH AFRICA