Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 11:41:21 -0500 From: Silke Van Ness Subject: Re: gapers' block While living in the Chicago area, I always found 'gapers'' block a very descriptive term and have not heard it since then. Around the Albany, NY area, the equivalent seems to be 'curiosity slow down'. -- Silke Van Ness Germanic & Slavic Languages and Literatures University at Albany, SUNY HU 216 Albany, NY 12222 E-mail: sv478[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] Phone: (518)442-4122 On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Allan Metcalf wrote: > In Chicago, a traffic slowdown caused by drivers slowing to look at an > accident in the opposite lane, or some other sight (currently a portrait of > Dennis Rodman of the Chicago Bulls, changing hair color as Rodman does) - is > called a "gapers' block." > > Is that term used elsewhere? If not, what? > > Thanks - Allan Metcalf >