Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:59:37 -0700 From: Bruce Gelder Subject: Re: gapers' block >In Chicago, a traffic slowdown caused by drivers slowing to look at an >accident in the opposite lane, or some other sight (currently a portrait of >Dennis Rodman of the Chicago Bulls, changing hair color as Rodman does) - is >called a "gapers' block." > >Is that term used elsewhere? If not, what? > >Thanks - Allan Metcalf The act of slowing to look is called "rubbernecking" here in Salt Lake City, but I've never heard a word for a traffic slowdown specifically caused by that, just general things like "traffic jam" and so on. I've never heard "gapers' block." --Bruce Gelder