Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 14:35:18 -0500
From: Larry Horn laurence.horn[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]YALE.EDU
Subject: Re: connecticut folk

At 11:09 AM -0800 3/6/98, Peter Richardson wrote:
can anyone tell me if there's a name for people from connecticut?
(connecticutians? connecticutters?) not finding anything in my

Larry Horn's sure to know. I'd guess "Nutmeggers." ANd I can hear the
laughter already.


Au contraire, Peter (and Lynne (and others who might wish to know)). This
is the second time this week I was asked, though; my daughter raised the
same question on Wednesday and I didn't know how to answer her either,
although I mentioned having heard "Connecticutters" on a number of
occasions (and usually wincing when I did). I think "people from
Connecticut" is often used, but that doesn't really answer the question.
No, "Nutmeggers" is not the term, except possibly as a nonce
faute-de-mieux, and I suspect most around here consider "Connecticutters"
mieux. Maybe someone from Greenwich would prefer to be known as a

Larry the Conn-man