Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 15:53:05 -0500
From: Allan Metcalf AAllan[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]AOL.COM
Subject: American Speech 70.4 Winter 1995
If you're a member of the American Dialect Society, you should be finding in
your mail the Winter 1995 issue of American Speech, the last one under Ronald
Butters' editorship. Yes, it's a little late, but worth the wait!
Major articles on
- zero copula in the Creole mesolect by John McWhorter
- "Marizy Doats" and Law French and much else by Dale B.J. Randall
- What determines a dialect area? by Lawrence M. Davis and Charles L. Houck
- review of research on German dialects in North America by Silke Van Ness
- Among the New Words by John and Adele Algeo
and short articles on
- east in Hawaii, reflexives, Sea Island Creole, the suffix -ista, womyn,
"unless" in Berks County PA, and a potentially obscene bumper sticker.
It concludes with a detailed index to the entire volume.
If you are *not* an ADS member, I can't send you a free copy, but I can send
membership information. Just let me know your s-mail address.
- Allan Metcalf, ADS Executive Secretary AAllan[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]aol.com