Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 14:33:34 EST

From: Terry Lynn Irons t.irons[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]MOREHEAD-ST.EDU

Subject: Clabber milk

Help! My milk has soured and I don't know what to call it.

More seriously, I have been trying to map some regional terms across

Kentucky, and I have come upon a problem that may affect my analysis. I

have been concentrating on the terms Davis & Houck use in their critical

92 AS article examining the question of a Midland dialect. I am also

including terms that Kurath 49 considers to be distinctly Midland.

Anyway, based on Davis & Houck 92, I have been treating the variants for

sour milk "clabber" and "clabber(ed) milk" as northern and southern

terms, respectively. But in recently preparing a presentation I was

reading through Kurath's Word Geography, and on page 70, he clearly

writes, "Clabber is the Southern expression, clabber milk that of the

South Midland." His map (Fig 124) shows "lobbered milk" and "loppered

milk" to be the Northern terms.

Being uncertain, I decided to check volume one of DARE, and behold, I

found contradictory information. In DARE, "clabber" is cited as chiefly

Northern, and Kurath is quoted as a source.

Currently I am in a quandry. Can anyone help me out here? The

resolution could have consequences for some interpretive issues.

Terry Irons

P.S. Even though somebody said I hit the nail on the head about the

internet survey, I agree with what Lance said.



Terry Lynn Irons t.irons[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]

Voice Mail: (606) 783-5164

Snail Mail: UPO 604 Morehead, KY 40351