Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 22:35:56 EDT
From: AAllan[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]AOL.COM
Subject: N*E*W*S from A*D*S
Read all about it!
- Full program for the American Dialect Society annual meeting!
- Full details on how to reserve your room for that meeting in our
incomparable San Diego (Coronado) location, at our special price!
- Full programs for A.D.S. regional meetings: Rocky Mountain, South Central,
Midwest, South Atlantic!
- Our PC program for the NCTE convention!
- Our preliminary program for the LSA annual meeting, and a second call for
- Nine new books by A.D.S. members!
- The scoop on what you can find at the Western Historical MS. Collection in
- How you can learn the secrets of slang, six times a year!
- Answers to 8 basic questions about Cajun language and culture!
- A special 4-page report on trends in teaching about language variation!
- Preview of the next 3 issues of _Publication of the American Dialect
Is that all? Hah! No, we also have the scoop on
- NWAV at Stanford Oct 20-23! Where to send abstracts, who the invited
speakers are, what the special performances will be!
- The Dictionary Society of North America. Want to know where they'll meet
next summer, and who's the organizer?
Whew! Well, the only way you can get all this (and more) information is to
open your copy of the May 1994 issue of the _Newsletter of the American
Dialect Society_. It is now in the first class mail (or air mail overseas) to
members of the A.D.S.
If you are not a member, send me your s-mail address and I'll send you a
free copy. Or you can send through the US mail the $30 annual dues, and
you'll get this plus our quarterly journal _American Speech_ plus our annual
monograph _P.A.D.S._, which this year will feature - well, read all about it
in the newsletter!
Members, check your mailboxes in the week of June 13....then settle down in
the cool shade with a tall one and feast on the news.
Allan Metcalf AALLAN[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]AOL.COM
Executive Secretary, A.D.S.
MacMurray College English Dept
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650 USA