Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:30:27 -0500 From: Jonathan Gilbert Subject: Question on a word Apologies for posting to lists I don't normally read; I'm asking here on the suggestion of a friend who does read them -- please send replies directly by email, and thanks. The question is on behalf of another friend who is working on a dissertation (not on a linguistics topic, it's social history of a sort); she wants to describe a situation in which the usage of one word (in a particular context, by a small group of people) has diverged enough from its standard usage that it has become interchangeable with another word, normally either different or unrelated in meaning. My friend believes there is a word for this phenomenon, but nobody we've asked so far has been able to identify it ... does anyone out there know? Jonathan Gilbert JonG[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]