Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:33:47 -0500 From: "Bethany K. Dumas" Subject: X come Y Twice recently on email lists, I have seen the construction "X come Y" where I would have expected "X cum Y." The most recent example comes from Anglican: "the simple Galilean handyman come preacher." When I queried the first author about his use of "come" instead of "cum" he said that he thought that "cum" triggered sexual connotations (ejaculate) that the spelling "come" did not and that he used the spelling "come" for that reason. (I think the author was a Canadian--I'll check my files to be sure.) The second author (of the above example) is an Anglican priest in Australia. I have queried him, but have not had a response yet. I have 2 questions: 1. Is this apparent Anglicization usual and customary? I don't recall seeing it beore seeing these two examples. 2. Is the Anglicization widespread through the English-speaking world? Thanks, Bethany Bethany K. Dumas, J.D., Ph.D. | Applied Linguistics, Language & Law Dep't of English, UT, Knoxville | EMAIL: dumasb[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] 415 McClung Tower | (423) 974-6965 | FAX (423) 974-6926 Knoxville, TN 37996-0430 | See Webpage at