Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 08:20:57 -0800 From: Allen Maberry Subject: Re: Bank machines I use and regularly hear the term "cash machine" in the Northwest; a holdover no doubt from the time when that's about the only service they provided. I also hear "bank machine" but rarely "ATM". Allen maberry[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Salikoko S. Mufwene wrote: > > In England (I know this is the American dialect society, but what > > the hell) I have never heard anyone refer to bank machines as "ATM"s, > > although I understood the abbreviation when I read it. They are most > > commonly, in my experience, referred to as "cash machines" or "cash > > points", or as the "hole in the wall". I think this latter term may be > > dialectal (Lancashire), although I am not entirely sure, and people > > from my area would pronounce it "'ole i' t'wall". (...) > > Are any of these terms (especially the latter) used in America > > (or other parts of England, if there's any other British > > subscribers)? > > The term "cash station" is commonly used in Chicago. I think it is used > both as a trade mark, like Cirrus (?), and a generic term for any ATM > machine. Never paid much attention to it, but your question helped me think > of this. > > Sali. > ********************************************************************** > Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] > University of Chicago 312-702-8531; FAX: 312-702-9861 > Department of Linguistics > 1010 East 59th Street > Chicago, IL 60637 > ********************************************************************** >