Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 07:11:01 -0600 From: "Salikoko S. Mufwene" Subject: Re: Bank machines > In England (I know this is the American dialect society, but what > the hell) I have never heard anyone refer to bank machines as "ATM"s, > although I understood the abbreviation when I read it. They are most > commonly, in my experience, referred to as "cash machines" or "cash > points", or as the "hole in the wall". I think this latter term may be > dialectal (Lancashire), although I am not entirely sure, and people > from my area would pronounce it "'ole i' t'wall". (...) > Are any of these terms (especially the latter) used in America > (or other parts of England, if there's any other British > subscribers)? The term "cash station" is commonly used in Chicago. I think it is used both as a trade mark, like Cirrus (?), and a generic term for any ATM machine. Never paid much attention to it, but your question helped me think of this. Sali. ********************************************************************** Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] University of Chicago 312-702-8531; FAX: 312-702-9861 Department of Linguistics 1010 East 59th Street Chicago, IL 60637 **********************************************************************