Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 08:22:59 -0800 From: Allen Maberry Subject: Re: Frontier Doctors (fwd) -Reply Since you asked-- I and I'm sure several others replied. My message was: The item in question was called a hitching weight. Cf., "hitching weight--a weight which, placed on the ground and attached by a strap to the horse's bit, keeps the animal from going away. Used on buggy horses or wagon teams only." Adams, "Western Words", University of Oklahomah Press, 1968, p. 148 Similar definition in "Dictionary of Americanisms" Allen maberry[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Molly Dickmeyer wrote: > Dan Goodman et al: > > Has anyone answered privately to your inquiry about the weight > frontier docs used to "anchor" their horses? I'm interested in this > one also. > > Molly Dickmeyer > dickmeye[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] > > PS--Enjoyed the "20 Questions" feature on Jesse Sheidlower in the > Philadelphia free weekly _City Paper_ last month! >