Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:33:47 -0500

From: "Bethany K. Dumas" dumasb[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU

Subject: X come Y

Twice recently on email lists, I have seen the construction "X come Y"

where I would have expected "X cum Y." The most recent example comes from

Anglican: "the simple Galilean handyman come preacher." When I queried

the first author about his use of "come" instead of "cum" he said that he

thought that "cum" triggered sexual connotations (ejaculate) that the

spelling "come" did not and that he used the spelling "come" for that

reason. (I think the author was a Canadian--I'll check my files to be


The second author (of the above example) is an Anglican priest in

Australia. I have queried him, but have not had a response yet.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is this apparent Anglicization usual and customary? I don't recall

seeing it beore seeing these two examples.

2. Is the Anglicization widespread through the English-speaking world?



Bethany K. Dumas, J.D., Ph.D. | Applied Linguistics, Language & Law

Dep't of English, UT, Knoxville | EMAIL: dumasb[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]

415 McClung Tower | (423) 974-6965 | FAX (423) 974-6926

Knoxville, TN 37996-0430 | See Webpage at