Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 07:11:01 -0600

From: "Salikoko S. Mufwene" s-mufwene[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]UCHICAGO.EDU

Subject: Re: Bank machines

In England (I know this is the American dialect society, but what

the hell) I have never heard anyone refer to bank machines as "ATM"s,

although I understood the abbreviation when I read it. They are most

commonly, in my experience, referred to as "cash machines" or "cash

points", or as the "hole in the wall". I think this latter term may be

dialectal (Lancashire), although I am not entirely sure, and people

from my area would pronounce it "'ole i' t'wall". (...)

Are any of these terms (especially the latter) used in America

(or other parts of England, if there's any other British


The term "cash station" is commonly used in Chicago. I think it is used

both as a trade mark, like Cirrus (?), and a generic term for any ATM

machine. Never paid much attention to it, but your question helped me think

of this.



Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]

University of Chicago 312-702-8531; FAX: 312-702-9861

Department of Linguistics

1010 East 59th Street

Chicago, IL 60637