Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:03:44 -0600 From: Luanne von Schneidemesser Subject: Berliner; pancake turners, spatulas, scrapers; slider Check Juergen Eichhoff's Wortatlas der deutschen Umgangssprachen, vol. 2, map 61 (1978) for more recent although similar findings on the names for the (usu) jelly-filled pastry. In the north (Schleswig-Holstein, Niedersachsen), west of the Rhine River, and in Baden-Wuerttenberg and neighboring Switzerland, the term Berliner is used. Pfannkuchen is used in what used to be East Germany. In Hesse and bordering areas the term Kraeppel is used, less commonly Krapfen; Krapfen is the main term in Bavaria and Austria. When I was doing this interviewing in the central parts of West Germany, I found that the bakeries in Hesse would frequently have signs for Berliner, but people would say Krapfen or Kraeppel when asking for them. To relate this to our ADS list more directly, check DARE: we have entered Berliner (esp WI), krapfen (Ger settlement areas), and krebbel. More interesting to me is the entry for bismarck (chiefly Upper MW, wGt Lakes). This term is not used at all in Germany, but seems to come from the Hotel Bismarck in Chicago. And speaking of pancakes (more or less), we had a discussion at coffee break a while back on pancake turners, spatulas, and scrapers. I grew up with pancake turner for the thing you use to turn over what is being cooked/fried in a pan (DARE has plenty of evidence on this, showing it to be widespread but more frequent in the Northeast, North Central and West); to scrape out bowls and pans we used a spatula (DARE shows spatula as pancake turner to be quite widespread). Others disagreed, maintaining that that was done with a scraper. DARE had no question on this latter point. What do you call it? One more point. Driving home from a wedding in Iowa City this summer, we stopped at St. Donatus, Iowa. On the menu was a slider, a sandwich with various kinds of meat. Do any of you know this term? Bob Wachal pointed out the earlier use of slider for a White Castle hamburger, but that's not the same thing. Thanks. Luanne von Schneidemesser At 06:29 PM 11/29/1997 +0100, Jan Strunk wrote: >The word "Berliner" is indeed the name of a jelly-filled pastry, but only >in some parts of Germany, mainly in the west and south west. >I'm from Bochum, Northrhine-Westphalia, and it's native to me. >However, in Berlin itself, this kind of pastry is called Pfannkuchen >(pancake), although it's usually fried. >The Berliners may however have known the additional sense of the word. >Although one normally says "Ich bin Berliner" without indefinite article, >it's perfectly correct, grammatical and also understandable to say >"Ich bin ein Berliner". >In conclusion, I would say, that it might be funny for some people in >Germany, but I wouldn't call it a real mistake. > >sources: myself > DWA (The German Word Atlas) > >Jan Strunk >strunk[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] >