Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:37:22 EST
From: AAllan AAllan[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]AOL.COM
Subject: ADS Luncheon Uncovered
At last, thanks to David Barnhart's pavement-pounding, we have a home for the
ADS Annual Luncheon 1:00-2:15 pm Saturday, January 10. The speaker will be
*William Labov* of the University of Pennsylvania. The place will be right
across the street from our hotel:
Houlihan's, 380 Lexington Ave. at 42nd Street.
For $25 inclusive (payable to American Dialect Society), you will get
- fresh garden salad with dressing
- choice of entree
- apple pie
- unlimited coffee, tea and soda.
You may also order other beverages from your server at additional cost.
Now here is the deal on the choice of entree. We are supposed to tell the
restaurant by *January 1* what our choice is. Naturally, not everyone will
have been able to choose by then. So I'm making item 6 (Chicken Florentine)
the default choice. But if you're going to the luncheon, and would like
something different, please let me know by January 1. (Some of you have
already paid. If not, you do not need to *pay* in advance, but advance
reservations would be helpful; and they will also guarantee you a place. Send
reservations and menu choices directly to me at AAllan[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]aol.com.)
Choice of entrees:
1. Grilled chicken breast with mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas
2. Cheddar burger with lettuce, tomato, shaved red onion and natural cut fries
3. Plaza Club: sliced turkey breast and ham with bacon, provolone, shredded
lettuce, tomato and mayo on freshly baked pan bread with natural cut fries
4. Chicken fingers with honey mustard dressing and natural cut fries
5. Chicken Caesar salad
6. Chicken Florentine: grilled chicken with Florentine sauce and vegetables.
See you there! - Allan Metcalf, ADS Executive Secretary