Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:19:58 -0600

From: wachal robert s rwachal[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU

Subject: Re: Berliner; pancake turners, spatulas, scrapers; slider

I've always called those rubber-ended things used to scrape out bowls a

"spatula". The utensil used in diners to spread butter onto toast is

something I did not encounter until adulthood. it strikes me as another

kind of spatula, perhaps the "true" one. There are lunar-shaped objects

of plastic that can be used to scrape out bowls. Surely these are

"scrapers" and not "spatuulas".

The diner type is also called a "sandwich spreader". According to some

food dictionaries, the term "spatula" may be used to refer to all of the

objects under discussion.

Sorry that I have been unable to get to St. Donatus to check out sliders

first hand.

Bob Wachal