Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 10:02:50 -0800

From: Judith Rascoe boise[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]WELL.SF.CA.US

Subject: Re: More British automotive terms

Thank you, Michael Henderson, for explaining that the US walker is a UK

Zimmer. I came across the latter term recently and was deeply baffled.

Which reminds me of another transatlantic difference. Years ago I was

reduced to gestures and drawings in order to obtain an extension cord from a

shop in London. The British term, I learned, was "running lead." Keep that

in mind for your next sabbatical in Britain.