Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 13:33:35 -0400 From: "Margaret G. Lee -English" Subject: Re: Question on a word How about "semantic shift" as described by Fromkin and Rodman (1978)? Margaret Lee Department of English Hampton University On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Jonathan Gilbert wrote: > Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:30:27 -0500 > From: Jonathan Gilbert > To: ADS-L[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]UGA.CC.UGA.EDU > Subject: Question on a word > > Apologies for posting to lists I don't normally read; I'm asking here on the > suggestion of a friend who does read them -- please send replies > directly by email, and thanks. > > The question is on behalf of another friend who is working on a > dissertation (not on a linguistics topic, it's social history of a sort); she > wants to describe a situation in which the usage of one word (in a > particular context, by a small group of people) has diverged enough from > its standard usage that it has become interchangeable with another > word, normally either different or unrelated in meaning. My friend > believes there is a word for this phenomenon, but nobody we've asked > so far has been able to identify it ... does anyone out there know? > > Jonathan Gilbert > JonG[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE] >