Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 15:18:55 -0500


Subject: new word contest

Here's the thing: since the U of I went smoke free I've noticed that clumps

of smokers gather at building entrances to smoke, since they can no longer

smoke inside. The U even provides ashtrays by the outer doors. The same

phenomenon occurs at other smoke-free buildings. At Vanderbilt Hospital I

noticed a sign asking smokers not to stand by the entrances, but to move

away. Some buildings provide outdoor smoking areas for these people.

So my question is this: what new words have arisen, or can we devise, to

describe this phenomenon: the gaggle of smokers, the set-aside smoking

area, the people who do this (smokers, of course, but is there an

appropriate descriptor?)

So I thought a contest would be nice. In the back to school spirit. In

case of a prize, duplicate ties will be awarded. Respond to me privately

and I will summarize, or post to the lists.



Dennis Baron debaron[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]

Department of English 217-333-2392

University of Illinois fax: 217-333-4321

608 South Wright Street

Urbana, Illinois 61801