Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:38:49 -0500
From: Mark Mandel
Subject: new word: speako

When you're dictating text to your computer with speech recognition software*,
and you say "third person plural" and the
screen shows "third person pleural", what do you call this substitution of one
real word for another? ("Pleural", with
"eu", is a medical term.) For something like a year, maybe longer, SR users and
developers have been calling it a
"speako", on the model of "typo". I think "talko" was another candidate, but
"speako" seems to have won out.

Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark[AT SYMBOL GOES HERE]
* Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 796-0267
320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA :
Personal home page: