The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other languages, influencing it or influenced by it. Our members include academics and amateurs, professors and students, professionals and dilettantes, teachers and writers, undergraduates and graduates. Anyone can join the society!
Benefits of membership include:
- A subscription to American Speech, the society’s quarterly journal.
- Access to the American Speech online archive dating back to 1925.
- One book in the PADS (Publication of the American Dialect Society) monograph series each year.
- The society’s annual conference, held in conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America.
- The annual word-of-the-year vote.
- Access to the society’s member list.
- Access to the members-only ADS-M email list.
- Access to the ADS-L email list (also open to non-members).
- Being a part of an organization that supports the Dictionary of American Regional English.